Preparing Your Home for Showings…and the Sale!
First impressions are typically important to buyers. Play up your home’s best points and keep it tidy for last-minute showings. A small investment in time and money can give your home an advantage over competing homes in your neighborhood. Here are suggestions and a check list for preparing your home for showings and ultimately, the sale!
- Keep curbside and driveway free of parked cars, if possible.
- Cut lawns.
- Trim hedges and shrubs.
- Weed and edge gardens.
- Pick up litter.
- Clear drive and sidewalks of snow and leaves.
- Repair and clean soffits, gutters, and spouts.
- Clean out garage.
- Touch up exterior paint.
- Put out new doormat.
At the Front Door
- Clean and tidy porch and foyer.
- Make sure the door bell rings.
- Check that door hardware is in good shape.
- Is the air fresh?
Make it Roomy
- Clear halls and stairs of clutter.
- Store surplus furniture.
- Clear kitchen counters and stove.
- Make closets neat and tidy.
- Consider holding a garage sale to clear out “used items” from garage and basement.
- Kitchens, bathrooms, and utility rooms get close scrutiny.
- Clean and freshen bathrooms.
- Clean refrigerator, stove, and counters.
- Clean washer, dryer, and laundry tubs.
- Vacuum and clean flooring.
- Repair leaky faucets and toilets.
- Clean furnace and replace filters.
- Tighten door knobs and cupboard latches.
- Repair cracked plaster.
- Touch up chipped paint.
- Clean and repair windows, screens, and storm doors.
- Repair seals around tub and sinks.
- Replace burned out light bulbs.
- Oil squeaking doors.
Create Buying Mood
- Turn on lots of lights and burn scented candles throughout the house.
- Open curtains and blinds in the daytime.
- Set the thermostat so it is cool or warm enough for a comfortable showing.
- Light fireplace in the fall or winter.
- Play quiet background music; no blaring TVs or radios.
- Keep jewelry and valuables out of sight or locked safely away during showings.
- Take precautions to ensure property (such as collectibles, vases, figurines, mementos) is safely situated, or out of reach, or packed away so it can’t be accidentally broken.
- Consider best arrangements for pets, preferably taking them away from the home during showings.
- Remove all pet odor if possible.